Water hyacinths are one of the most common plants seen in water gardens. This floating plant is native to South America and very sensitive to cold weather. Water hyacinths have round, glossy green leaves held on upright, fleshy stalks. Short plants usually have a large "ball" at the base of each leaf. This, along with the fleshy stem, is filled with styrofoam-like material that keeps the plant afloat. Beneath the water is a large, feathery root system that is usually black or purple. Water hyacinths are very useful at competing with algae. Their fast growth rate allows them to quickly shade the water while at the same time absorbing huge amounts of nutrients from the water. Hyacinths are usually very easy to grow, but some people have trouble getting them to grow and bloom. Fish love to nibble at the roots. If the fish are large or there are a lot of them, they may kill the plant or even eat the entire thing. Placing the hyacinths in floating baskets or partitioning them off from the fish with rocks may help. Water hyacinths love to be crowded and even though they are floating plants, they don't like to drift around. Corralling them with a hoop of plastic tubing, a hula-hoop, fishing line, or even rocks will keep them from moving around. Water hyacinths usually bloom the most during the hottest part of the year and only if they are crowded. Each 6" to 12" flower spike lasts only one day and has 6 to 15 lavender flowers on it. Please note that there is a very good chance of you receiving Hyacinths without flowers. With proper care, some heat, and a little luck, the Hyacinths will flower. Please understand that shipping any live plant can be difficult to guarantee due to the number of conditions that are beyond our control the moment the plant leaves our possession. We will replace or refund any orders that are destroyed in shipping. You must simply email us a photo of what you received the same day that it is delivered.
Features & Highlights
- Grown by Chalily in St. Louis, Missouri, you get 3 plants of about 3-5 inches in diameter or larger. These are grown plants, ready to reproduce.
- They serve as natural biofilters to your pond. Controls algae by absorbing nutrients from the water that algae would usually thrive from.
- These oxygenating plants keep the water clean and filtered in your water garden.
- All of our plants are 100% guaranteed to arrive alive or your money back. Instructions provided by Chalily.
- Please note this plant ships with trimmed roots as sometimes they tend to fall off during transit due to heat. In case roots fall off upon receiving them, just place them in your pond and give them couple of weeks so they can re-establish themselves. Lastly, due to state regulations, this plant can not ship to: AL, AR, AZ, CA, FL, LA, MS, NE, PR, SC, TX, WI. If we receive your order from one of the following states, we will cancel the order at your request as we will not ship hyacinths illegally